Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no, Mr. Suit - Wire

Getting an offer has been a huge relief, and has also filled up my to-do list.

Suits:  Ten years ago, I wore a suit everyday to work at the bank, but for the last five years or so, it was rare for me to go the whole work day with shoes on, forget about a suit.  Apparently, pleated pants were in style in the late 90's.  After some donations to goodwill, and some purchases, I now have three suits I'm happy with, and some new dress shirts.  I could buy a few more things, but I'll be able to fill in the gaps when I'm in DC, if necessary.  I'm still not sure if suits are the day to day outfit on the job for most FSOs, or if they are really only used for orientation in DC and special occasions elsewhere.  If I'm going to wear them all the time at post, I'll likely buy another.

Forms:  After the offer, came the forms.  Thrift Savings Plan, health insurance election, beneficiary selections for several things, life insurance options, etc., etc., and yet another occasion where I had to declare that I understand that I am at the whims of State and that I'll go wherever they decide.  My favorite was one that puts me one the hook for all costs if I leave before completing my first year at post.  With medical clearance, security clearance, training costs, per diem, and moving costs, I wonder what that would add up to.

Housing:  I've never lived in the city.  For the last 15 years, I've lived close to Boston, but never in it.  When it comes down to it, I'm too cheap to pay downtown prices.  With the per diem arrangement during training / temporary assignment to DC, I've got much more to work with than I'd ever allow myself.  So, it's now or never.

I've found a place in Chinatown.  I'll be a few minutes walk from the orange line, which will take me to the FSI shuttle.  It'll be a 45 minute commute, which sounds bad, until I remember how much I used to enjoy reading on the T on my commute to Boston.  I'm going to wear out my kindle.  It is also on the red line, which goes to the bars and restaurants of Dupont and Adams Morgan.  If only the curling club were on the Metro.  Sadly, I'll need my car for that.

Since the per diem amount shrinks over time, if I am in training for more than 8 months or so, I'll start to pay the landlord out of my own pocket in addition to the per diem.  It's hard to say how long till this happens since the rates for fiscal 2012, which starts in Oct., are not out yet.  The apartment is a gamble in comparison to Oakwood, the official housing where lots of FSOs stay and where I'd be guaranteed not to pay out of pocket, but I wanted to be downtown, and think I'll appreciate the opportunity to get some space and time to myself.

Moving:  My move date is set for the week before orientation starts.  I don't have a ton to do before then.  One of the great things about having sold my house and having gone to Guatemala to get the language bonus points last year is that I boxed up all my stuff and put it in storage.  I packed with joining the Foreign Service in mind.  I sorted out long term storage boxes, boxes I'd want shipped to post but not DC, boxes I'd want in DC, and some boxes I'd want if I didn't get the offer.  Also, since I'm driving to DC, I'll be able to bring my clothes, plants, computer, printer, bike, office supplies, and more in my car so that I'll have them immediately.

Expiration day:  This isn't on my to-do list, but is worth mentioning.  Today would have been my expiration day off the registrar's list if I hadn't gotten the offer last month.  It has been 18 months since I made the register.  Today could have been a very sad day for me.

(Wire - Mr. Suit)

5 comments:

That Lady, There! said...

I'm super excited for you, and share your joy that this was a good day, and not a sad day for you! Your story continues to give me hope.

Frosty said...

Looks like we'll be classmates! Look forward to meeting you.

Becky said...

Very excited for you! I hope that everything goes well. Congrats on NOT expiring.

njtworld said...

Thanks, Lady and Becky.

Frosty, see you soon.

Jonathan Dennehy said...

Nick, enjoy A-100. I guarantee it will be one of the most exciting times of your life. I have less than 9 months to go on my first tour here in Dubai, so maybe we'll be at FSI together if you are still in language training next summer.